Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Campground Commute

The Skyhound kids wanted to go camping again before school started, but the Mrs. and I were too busy for a long trip away from home. So we hit on the idea of camping in our own forest here in the Sacramento Mountains. After all, people come from a long way to camp here so why shouldn't we? So we pitched our tent at a local campground less than 0.8 miles away from home! I spent several days commuting to work from the camp site.

I've been hunkered down for the last few days trying to get the next test version ready. The backup and restore functions are finished and they successfully restored my own SkyTools 2 files, which was no small feat. In addition there have been a lot of minor fixes.

The hitch is that I have finally decided to dump the InstallShield installer. Those people are nothing but money grubbers anyhow. Their business model is designed to milk large corporations of significant sums of money. I am not a large cooperation with large sums of money. I wish I had never given them any of mine in the first place; their installer has been nothing but trouble from the start. What really ticks me off is the way they lured me in with what appeared to be a fully functional program, but hidden deep inside were intentional limitations meant to make me pony up more money for a more sophisticated version.

So the next task is to create a new install script using the NSIS installer. But I'm too burned out to start the process... I miss the tent! It kept me from working too much. Time for a break.

3 comments:

murison said...

Greg,

Have you checked the Wise installer? I've not used it myself, and I don't know how money-grubby they might be, but several programs I have use it for their installer and it seems pretty decent. BTW, I agree with you 100% regarding %@$&#! InstallShield.

--Marc

Skyhound said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Marc. So far the NSIS installer is doing everything I want it to do, and it's free!

Anonymous said...

I should email my girlfriend about your post.